Tony and his eldest son Lou immediately converted the market into a grocery store, expanding the product lines to include meats and other grocery items. Back then most of the business came from phone orders and home deliveries.
One by one, each of Tony’s sons came into the business. Lou from inception, Ed and Bob each came aboard, then Tony Jr. in 1960.
By 1952 the store expanded with the purchase of the Redding Ridge Market, and in 1959 the Bethel Food Market moved to 98 Greenwood Avenue, where it still stands today.
In 1973 the store expanded to 14,000 square feet and included an attached Bank with in-store teller service.
In 1989, the store expanded once again. This expansion more than doubled the size putting the store at 31,000 square feet and included many new departments including full service bakery and hot prepared foods. In the 1990’s, members of the third generation entered the business in a major capacity. Ed’s son Matthew running the frontend operations and Bob’s son Steve took over the grocery department.